This workshop is designed to benefit anyone on the performance spectrum – from someone who has never performed to a highly-experienced performer (and everyone in between). Solo or ensemble, original or cover, vocal or instrumental – all are welcome. Some of the topics we’ll address are:
- Clarifying your own motivation(s) for performing.
- Designing a well-timed performance date.
- Choosing an appropriate venue.
- Creating an effective setlist
- Building a comprehensive checklist for your peace of mind.
- Sculpting your performance day to set you up for success.
- Harnessing the power of your role models.
- Learning how to practice for both detail and overall shape.
- Creating performance-specific criteria to compassionately evaluate your performance.
Michael Smolens is a multi-instrumentalist and vocalist who has been performing in a wide variety of venues since 1970. From restaurants, churches, and private homes, to wineries, outdoor ritual events, and major concert venues (six times at Yoshi’s NiteSpot); and in styles ranging from jazz, classical and various world musics to folk, gospel, and pop. Michael has been featured in contexts ranging from solo to large ensembles, playing both original and non-original music, and as a bandleader and a side person. Additionally, he has accompanied vocalists, instrumentalists, spoken word artists, and a host of variety artists